Friday, November 5, 2010

Friends

Do you have those friends that you want to be in your life forever but you just don't get to spend as much time together as you wish?

Today's blog is about two of my friends:  one that was there for me in my first career (and each one after that!) and one that has really helped me get going in this latest adventure (pretty sure I can't call this one a career!).  I know you thought this was a blog about furniture and housey stuff but, you'll have to just  stick with me on this one.

Once upon a time, a long time ago, I was in the Army!  I know, I almost can't believe that was my life either!  Anyway, I was 21 years old, a 2nd Lieutenant, and going be a Platoon Leader for the first time! I thought I could conquer the world and was ready to jump right in! I showed up to the Orderly Room thinking I was going to get my Platoon assignment and start making the world a better place.  I was tall, thin, blond and very naive about how I was going to be received as the newest officer in the Battery.  About the time I was starting to figure out that they weren't as  excited about my arrival as I was about being there, I was told I would have a "sponsor" to show me around and help me get in-processed.  And then she arrived.....She was short, with short black hair, had been in the Army a few years, and was no more interested in "sponsoring" me than she was in playing Barbie with the new girl on the street!  I was slightly intimidated terrified!

That was my first introduction to the person that quickly became my best friend and confidant for the last 18 years.    We knew each other before marriage or babies.  We have been there for each other through all the greatest highs and lows of life so far.  We rarely live in the same location but talk almost every day. And then she called late Monday night to say, she found a lump!  We talked and profoundly she said, "We knew it would happen to someone at some point but, I didn't want it to be me!"  No kidding!  Me either.....not her or me.  I don't want that for anyone but, surely not my Kathy! What would I do without her?

After a long night and longer day, Kath saw several doctors, was poked and prodded, had a mammogram, and is FINE!!  It is a cyst!  WHEW!!!  Then we talked about getting older and some of the not so great parts of that.....we laughed a little, sighed a little and decided, (as Toby Keith says) we may not be as good as we once were but, we're as good once as we ever were!

Now, the requisite BEFORE and AFTER pictures of any good refurbishing blog:


My other friend is much more recently a great friend.  We met through out boys and she is one of my all time favorite people.  She's one of those girls that makes you want to be a better person when you hang out with her!  Jenn is funny, smart, and has been very supportive in the Artichoke Alley adventure.  She is almost always available to go to the auction with me!  When I'm not quite sure about pricing, she is always willing to talk me through things.  And finally, when she thinks I'm just not quite going in the right direction, she says, in her nicest Jenn way, "What are you thinking?!"

So, this week I worked on a little display case for her.  She wanted something to put her grandmother's Bible in and I had this little case hanging around in the garage.  I wasn't really even sure that I wanted it but, when I saw it on the side of the road, I just couldn't pass it up.  One leg was stripped out and things were a little wonky but, it was FREE!  Anyway, when Jenn said she wanted it, I was happy to oblige.  Okay, those little projects are the usually the biggest pain and it was a really good thing I knew I was doing it for my special friend!  And, that her grandmother's Bible was going in it ..for that reason alone, I held back on a lot of things I wanted to say while working on it!

Finally, the furniture pictures you've been waiting for:





Thanks for GREAT friends!

Lisa












sharing with: Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful! I am sure your friend will be pleased. I would not have imagined you to be in the Army! So glad all the testing came out good for your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely piece. And now, so very special!

    ReplyDelete